Welcome Links Photo Albums New Albums Comments Guest Book Journals

• Jonathan (Private)
    11 years 10 months ago
    IL- Litchfield Police 1978 Pontiac Catalina
    How much would you sell the motor for??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What would make you think that this car either...

A: Still exists today
    B: The city that owns(ed) it would sell the motor?

This is a 1988 photo of a then 10 yr-old, still in-service police car. This entire website is a collection of police vehicle photographs, NOT a used car lot.

If you want to send the website $500 or so, I'll try to find you a Pontiac motor.

Greg Reynolds
    copcar dot com
  • Mlg5146 United States (Private)
    1 year 8 months ago
    Greg,

The picture of the crime scene photo from the accident that killed Chicago Police Officer Melvin Gossmeyer, 33 on July 17, 1960. Officer Gossmeyer was rammed by a fleeing vehicle that was being chased by another patrol car at 106th and Ewing on Chicago's SE side.

This was my father, it was a something to find of picture of this accident seeing that it happened over 50 years ago, I was only a small child when it happened. Below is some more information on this accident.

Thanks

Melvin L. Gossmeyer, Jr.

P.O. Melvin Gossmeyer #9775

P.O. Melvin Gossmeyer #9775

• Sushidelivery Chile (Private)
    1 year 10 months ago
  • P.D. Withers (Private)
    8 years ago
    1960 Ford - department photo
    I have a question on Chicago PD that I hope someone can answer; During the 1950's-60's, I know CPD has a distinctive "whooping" siren that was NOT electronic, but mechanical..I heard it might have been a MARS. I'm curious about this and how it worked. Thanks!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The distinctive sound came from a Federal Model 28P siren which was a standard Federal Model 28 with a baffled cone attached to the front called a Pulsator. They were used from 1961 until approximately 1972.

Greg
    copcar dot com
  • Alton Hall (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    TX - Austin Police
    Respectfully submitted-I have to dispute the year. Those Austin PD Crown Vic's are 1988-1991 models but remembering how violent Dallas was at the time sadly you are correct.
    • 4 years 10 months ago
      Yes, I do stand corrected, it was a 1988 funeral for one of the five DPD officers killed that year.
  • Walt (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    NM - New Mexico State Police
    Saw this particular vehicle @ a local car show in
    Va. last week very good resto.
  • Isaac Juarez (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    CA - California Highway Patrol
    Nice bike. I especially like that even the John Baker ( Chips) blond baton was included.
  • Alton Hall (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    KS - Arma Police
    Another surplus Kansas Highway Patrol vehicle that saw its public life extended as a police vehicle as small town police vehicle. Interesting color! The KHP also had some Crown Vic's that were metallic red.
    4 years 10 months ago
    PA- Pennsylvania State Police 1983 Chevy Malibu
    These Malibus had a 305 4bbl. My father drove one and was assigned to the Turnpike. They were cramped inside, but were fun to drive with tight steering and great handling.
  • Alton Hall (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    TX - Austin Police
    This is about 1989. There are other photos from this spot. I lived in Fort Worth and remember a police officer being killed in the line of duty. I think it was a funeral percession.
    • 4 years 10 months ago
      No, it is more like 1986. I took the photo. It is the funeral of a Dallas officer.
  • Alton Hall (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    KS - Unknown agency
    The car on the left is a retired Kansas Highway Patrol cruiser with a lightbar added to the roof.
  • Grainy (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    CT - Norwich Police
    Nice. We can leave comments. JA.
  • Alton Hall (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    TX - Leon Valley Police
    Interesting "Lectric Lites" lightbar. I only saw these around Texas and some on some emergency vehicles while I was in the Marine Corps.
  • Alton Hall (Private)
    4 years 10 months ago
    TX - Ft. Worth Police
    A classic FWPD trademark lightbar. In 1976 some of the units started getting blue strobe lights in place of the blue flashers.