• Jeff Kleb (Private)
    Show - Strathroy 2002 Show
    Ah, nice car....but what is that thing sticking up from the front of the hood? ;)

The '81 Fury was the last of the "big" Chryslers, along with its twin brother, the Dodge St. Regis (once used by the PA State Police), and the last one I know of to use the 360 V-8. Chrysler only put 318s in its later cars, right? The 360 could have worked, though, as it is essentially the same size engine block.

Good photo.....that show must have been quite a lot of fun!

_______~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~______________

That is a side-facing red "stop" light, commonly found on police vehicles pre-1960s. OPP kept that tradition for a lot longer, I reckon.

Dave
    copcar.com
  • Jeff Kleb (Private)
    Show - Strathroy 2002 Show
    Good photo of a good cop car! With a 318 or 360 under the hood, it was pretty good at catching the bad guys. When I was living in Pennsylvania during the 1980s, I used to see lots of Aspen/Volare sedans used for public service. Heck, even the military police at the Army depot used them (but theirs had the slant-6 engine)!

My favorite MOPAR remains the 1977-78 Fury/Monaco, however. A cousin of mine once owned an ex-PA squad with the big 440 V-8, four-barrel carburetor and dual exhaust. It would not do good burnouts because of the low-gear "lockout" on Chrysler patrol cars, but it had a top end very close to the 140-mph limit on the speedometer.

Ah, those were the days!
  • Jeff Kleb (Private)
    Show - Strathroy 2002 Show
    I lived in PA during the 1980s and remember those cars quite well. 1983 was the last year GM made that car (the Malibu), and it was a great cop car. Some troopers did not like it because it was smaller than the Impala, the Gran Fury and the LTD.

With either the 305 or 350 V-8 {depending upon the department's needs}, it would get up and go. The top speed was not much to write home about, but zero to sixty times were as good or better than anything made by Ford or Chrysler of similar vintage. The Harrisburg city police had some that served the department quite well for several years -- even some equipped with wimpy V-6 engines.

Anyhow, great web page and great photo of a car that is almost two decades old!!
  • yippee (Private)
    Show - Strathroy 2002 Show
    aint this the guy who got busted for driving around in his police car?
  • Peter Stern (Private)
    lacerda03
    I was just wondering where you got this model from?? I am a retired NYC Police Officer and collect NYPD cars. I have never seen this car before. Can you tell me if it's possible to purchase this car?? Thanks for your time..Peter...:)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I did not build this, but more than likely it is an example of the Caprice wagon resin kit that is offered by Modelhaus Resins

I hope this helps.

Greg Reynolds
    copcar dot com
  • monty (Private)
    1962 Chevy Ohio State Hwy Patrol
    A crook or speeder did'nt stand a chance against a 409 biscayne, did they? I know because I had a 62 409-409hp in my 57 Belair back in the days!
  • monty (Private)
    rees17
    I remember the small town of Appomatox, Va., near where I grew up had many biscayne 2 dr. cop cars, and you could buy them cheap at auction after a couple years- most memorable to me were the 69 2 dr sedan biscaynes, that had the 427-385hp w/ 3 speed on the column- I almost bought a light green metallic one in 1971 ! What a neat bunch of cars!
  • monty hogan (Private)
    klock57CHF
    As you may know these Pontiacs could really move- my uncle had the next year up (a 58 chieftan) 2 door sedan with the tri power and 3 speed, and it was one of the hottest cars around this area- I remember the moaning of those 3 dueces to this day! What a neat car you have made- Monty
  • monty hogan (Private)
    Virginia State Police
    What a neat machine! I may be biased ( living in and from Va.) but I think they have the best paint scheme- I have a 2001 and a 2003 Impala (full size), and I can't wait to see a model made or available- my best bud's a va. state trooper, and he hates the crown vic he has to drive- he wants an Impala, and said the caprice classic he turned in was the best cop car in all his nearly 30 years service- Monty
  • 15 years ago
    caddo1
    Retired from Shreveport Police Department, Shreveport, La. in 1983. Also retired from NATB-NICB July, this year. Now reside in Montgomery, Tx., just north of Houston. Enjoyed reading about this web page in the Houston Chronicle. Good web page and good job - Donnie Nichols
  • Ross (Private)
    Show - Strathroy 2002 Show
    1991 Ford CV from Hudson Township, North Carolina
  • tosin (Private)
    Dodge Diplomat, (defunct department) Stanton, CA, Police
    nice
  • John (Private)
    CO - Chevy ambulance (1969-1970) in a Colorado boneyard
    This one was a 1969-70 Suburban, due to the 6 lug wheels, and the hood bowtie emblem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks for the info!!
  • Richard Hill (Private)
    Australia - Victoria Police, Melbourne
    This car is actually a Mustang Cobra, not a GT. It was decorated in Police markings by Victoria Police to be shown at a Tickford (who import the Mustangs to Australia and convert them to right hand drive) open day. I don't think this car was ever used for traffic duties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks, I wouldn't know a Cobra from a cow. I just took a wild guess.

Dave